[Python-3000] translation support feature, via extended % operators

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Aug 14 17:50:32 CEST 2008

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > > With some languages
 > > requiring restructuring of the phraseology, what seems to be the first
 > > fragment and the second fragment may no longer be ordered in the same
 > > manner in a target language.
 >
 > That is theoretical, right? For a specific message, and a specific set
 > of languages, I'm fairly optimistic that you can split the message so
 > that you can translate the fragments individually, and then paste them
 > together again so that it still "works" in all languages.

As far as I know, translators rarely complain about this kind of
issue.  I've never seen it on debian-i18n, for example.  I would think
Japanese would be one of the worst for reordering, but I haven't
heard of it from Japanese translators I know.

In any case trying to design an improved facility in the absence of
concrete examples that we need to handle, but currently don't, will
not work well.  Translation is a field where the devil is indeed in
the details.