[Python-3000] PEP 3108 - stdlib reorg/cleanup

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 00:03:43 CEST 2008

"Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> writes:

> Also realize all of the right people have been consulted on this stuff
> (e.g., the web SIG about the urllib package). So please do not think
> that something that seems drastic (e.g., the removal of all
> Mac-specific modules) was taken lightly when in fact the proper people
> were asked and they were okay with what is going on.

Are there any thoughts on providing some other distribution or mechanism
to build selected Mac modules post-removal?  Is it likely to be possible
to grab current 2.x source and build as part of 3.x, providing it's not
a 64-bit system or UCS-4 configuration unsupported by bgen?

I have an application using the QuickTime portion of the Carbon package
very successfully in recent code (with a primarily Tiger-based user
base), where the higher level Cocoa/ObjC frameworks didn't provide the
necessary functionality under Tiger - it would be nice to have some path
to maintaining that across a 2.x/3.x transition, even if I had to build
something locally.

-- David