[Python-3000] sizeof(size_t) < sizeof(long)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 16 08:15:02 CEST 2008

>> and the C standard says that sizeof(char) == 1 byte.
>
> Does it actually use the word byte, or does it just say the
> "smallest addressable unit of memory" or something?
>
> Seems to me it can't have it both ways, without also trying
> to define the meaning of "byte", which I don't think it has
> any business doing.

3.6 byte
addressable  unit  of  data storage large enough to hold any
member  of  the  basic  character  set  of   the   execution
environment

6.5.3.4  The sizeof operator
[#2] The  sizeof operator yields the size (in bytes) of its
operand, which may be an  expression  or  the  parenthesized
name of a type.  The size is determined from the type of the
operand. [...]

[#3] When applied to an operand that has type char, unsigned
char, or signed char, (or a qualified version  thereof)  the
result  is  1. [...]

Regards,
Martin