[Python-3000] Windows registry question from blog

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 04:44:28 CEST 2007

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:ca471dc20708311918k642b0d2elf67bd8bdba8830a1 at mail.gmail.com...
> Someone added this comment to my blog
> (http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=213583&start=0#278818):
>
> "Only a question please, I have Python 2.5 installed in my windows XP
> machine and I would like to install Python 3a1. I think I could have
> troubles at the Windows Registry level. Did anybody tried to do so?"
>
> Can someone help this person?
>
> --

A quick scan of the registry makes it look to me like the main issue is that
py3k would take over the .py, .pyo, .pyc extentions, which is not a big
deal.
Reinstalling 2.5 (in place) would fix that.

The only other potential issue is the uninstall icon for 2.5 disappearing.
However
a quick test shows that the design of the installer prevents this potential
issue.

So everything looks fine to me. I have both instaled at the moment, and it
looks fine to me.