[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack {stage 2]

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Oct 19 23:50:58 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> - change PyString's repr() to return "b'...'"
>> - change PyBytes's repr() to return "buffer(b'...')"
>> - change parser so that b"..." returns PyString, not PyBytes
>> - rename bytes -> buffer, str8 -> bytes
>
> A patch by Alexandre Vassolotti and Christian Heimes exists for these 4 items:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1247
> However it breaks too many tests to be applied right now.

Yes, it's breaking horrible. It doesn't make sense to work on the fixes
until "change the constructor for PyString to match the one for PyBytes"
is done. PyString needs to accept an optional encoding and error argument.

>> - add an iteration view over PyBytes (optional)
>
> Not yet done (Christian Heimes offered).

I only pointed out that it's missing. I didn't say that I would write it
because I don't feel qualified and experienced enough for it.

> A patch by Christian Heimes exists: http://bugs.python.org/issue1267
> However it still breaks some unit tests...

Which unit tests are broken for you? test_cProfile test_doctest
test_email test_profile are broken for me in a vanilla build of py3k. My
patch doesn't break additional tests for me.

By the way I may have figured out how to fix the profile tests.

Christian