[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Oct 12 01:00:22 CEST 2007

Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> Should a pep3118 buffer api supporting object that produces a length 1
> buffer also work for append and remove?

My thought is -- only if such an object is also usable in
any *other* context expecting an integer. And I don't think
that would be a good idea at all.

You can always use .extend(b'!') to append a byte that's
already inside another bytes object or other buffer-supporting
object.

(BTW, I'm worried that we're overloading the term "buffer"
here. Having it refer to both the buffer interface and
also certain types of object that hold data is getting
confusing.)

--
Greg