[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:41:12 CET 2007

On 21/11/2007, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/11/2007, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> > Paul Moore wrote:
> > > Cool. I'm downloading now, and will report back.
> >
> > How is it going? Does the PCbuild9 directory work with the final version
> > of VS C++ Express?
>
> I couldn't install at work (don't ask :-() so I'll have to do it at
> home. Not tonight, as I'm busy with real life, but I'll report back in
> a day or two.

Python itself seems to build with no problems at all (there was a
mention of "Solution folders" not being supported in Express Edition,
but that doesn't seem to stop anything I need to do to build.

Most of the extensions built fine, and the test suite went through
with no issues. I couldn't get TCL/Tk or SSL to build, but I didn't
try very hard, I have to admit. SSL needs perl, which I don't have
installed (I could install it and try, but no time right now). For
TCL, though, it doesn't seem to build cleanly with VS 2008. Lots of
errors. I'm not sure how useful it would be for me to attempt to get
this resolved, as it's more of a TCL issue at some level. At some
stage, building TCL/Tk needs to be addressed, but as I've never
managed to do so in the past, I may not be the best person to start
right now :-)

But I'm certainly happy to help if that would be useful.

Thanks for the work you've put into PCBuild9, and for porting it back
to 2.6, as well. It looks really good. I may actually be able to go
back to doing some C hacking on the Python core :-)

Paul.