[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Nov 20 23:45:30 CET 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> We keep the build files around for a while in the PC subdirectory.
> Sometimes, people contribute patches to keep them working, and as
> long as there are users, I see no reason to drop the build files.
>
> Python should *definitely* continue to compile with older compilers
> (although breaking them is fine if they don't provide header files
> for functionality that we would like to use).

I'm fine with the status quo as long as the community steps in and
helps. I can't test every flavor of VS everytime a file has changed. I'm
having trouble to test VS 2003 since I installed VS 2008. The
installation is somehow conflicting with Nant.

> I doubt that. VisualStudioProject::Version indicates what compiler
> version a project file is good for, so I think the PCbuild9 directory
> can only work with VS 2008.

I see. Perhaps we can backport the PCbuild9 files to PCbuild8 somehow. I
leave the task to somebody else. At least my patch for
distutils.msvccompiler should work for VS 8.0 and VS 9.0.

Christian