[Python-3000] building _ssl on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 16 00:07:32 CET 2007

> Now, is it really necessary to install perl in order to compile python?

Yes, if you want OpenSSL support.

> Also note that the openssl distribution proposed in PCBuild8/readme.txt:
> svn export http://svn.python.org/projects/external/openssl-0.9.8a
> does not compile out of the box with vc2005.
> The usual _CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE macro is missing...

What specific problem does that cause?

In any case, we will recommend a newer OpenSSL library when the release
comes closer. In the meantime, there might be several OpenSSL releases,
so if we update the recommendation now, we would have to do so again
in six months from now, and not just for OpenSSL, but for all the other
libraries.

Regards,
Martin