[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Nov 6 13:05:13 CET 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> test_mailbox
>> test_old_mailbox
>
> These are the last two failing tests on Linux.

I've a patch that fixes most of the problems in test_mailbox and
test_old_mailbox but I'm unsure about it. It changes get_file() to read
the file in text mode instead of binary mode.
http://bugs.python.org/issue1396

>> Windows only:
>> test_csv
>> test_import (fix available at http://bugs.python.org/issue1293)

I like somebody to review my patch. Brett seems to be too busy to have a
look. It's changing the NullImporter initializer to strip off trailing /
and \ before it applies stat to the path. On Windows stat(c:\\path\\)
yields an error but stat(c:\\path) passes.

>> test_inspect (only on some occasions, http://bugs.python.org/issue1384)

Fixed

> I rejected that, but am accepting the idea of a command line flag that
> causes these calls to issue a warning or error (and ditto for
> comparing between str() and bytes()/buffer()).

Applied
I've altered some tests to filter out the warnings. The test suite
passes even with ./python -bb Lib/test/regrtest.py. Should I make python
-bb the default for make test and rt.bat?

Christian