[Python-3000] plat-mac seriously broken?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Nov 1 10:47:47 CET 2007

On 30 Oct, 2007, at 19:05, Brett Cannon wrote:

>>> Sure looks like generated code.  Be nice if that generator was run
>>> during the build process, on OS X.  That way you'd be sure to get
>>> code
>>> that matches the platform and codebase.
>>
>> ISTR that the generator needs a lot of hand-holding. Fixing it would
>> be A Project.

and I wonder if it is worth the effort...

> Just so that it is publicly known, when the Great Stdlib Reorg begins,
> I am seriously thinking of paring down the Mac stuff to the bare
> minimum.  I think the only reason all the Mac stuff was even allowed
> in to begin with was because Jack was one of the first contributors to
> Python (but that is just a hunch).  It seems rather unfair to have all
> of this Mac stuff in the stdlib while Windows doesn't go far beyond
> _winreg and everything else is kept in win32all.  Considering it has
> gone this far into Py3K and no one has noticed that it was broken kind
> of says something anyway.
>
> And no, I don't know when I am going to start doing the cleanup as I
> am under time pressure for three proposals between now and late
> December.

For what it is worth: I agree that most of the mac libraries, such as
the entire Carbon package, shouldn't be part of the standard library.

The reason for that is simple: the release-cycle of the MacOS bindings
are currently bound to the release cycle of major releases of Python
(e.g. one cannot do functional changes to the Carbon in the 2.5.x
branch), but should IMO be synchronized with platform releases.

However, I also think the mac libraries shouldn't be removed from the
standard library without someone stepping in to transform them into
(a) standalone package(s). Alternatively the functionality should be
available in other packages (such as PyObjC).

Ronald