[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon May 14 02:46:23 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> There are other, more serious cases of presentation ambiguity
> (e.g. tabs vs. spaces), yet nobody suggests to ban tabs from the
> language for that reason.

But we *have* suggested banning mixed tabs and spaces
(rather than just recommending against it), which is
something that can be automatically verified.

I don't think this scenario is all that unlikely. A
program is initially written by a Russian programmer
who uses his own version of "a" as a variable name.
Later an English-speaking programmer makes some
changes, and uses an ascii "a". Now there are two
subtly different variables called "a" in different
parts of the program.

--
Greg