[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Sun May 13 19:09:13 CEST 2007

On 5/13/07, Guillaume Proux <gproux+py3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Tomer Filiba]
> > when you start mixing LTR and RTL texts, it's asking for trouble:
> > שם_משפחה = "doe"
> > גיל = 5
> >
> > shem_mishpacha = "doe"
> > 5 = gil   # looks reversed, but it's actually correct (!!)
> >
> > so that basically rules out using hebrew, arabic and farsi from being
> > used as identifier, and the list is not complete.
>
> You are ruling out PEP3131 because there is no good editor able to
> support your language? True, for the same reason we should never have
> made a Unicode standard.
> If the editor is the problem, fix the editor.

No no no no no. This isn't a problem with the editor: it's a problem
with allowing Hebrew identifiers.  Tomer can correct me on this, but I
strongly doubt that it improves readability by forcing the programmer
to constantly change which direction they're reading from, e.g.,  "if
שם_משפחה.strip():"

Collin Winter