[Python-3000] PEP: Eliminate __del__

Talin talin at acm.org
Sun May 6 10:34:14 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Procedurally, there is a problem that this still isn't an
> officially-posted PEP, even though it's already several days
> past the deadline. OTOH, it's listed in the PEP parade. Still,
> I would like to see a posted PEP rather sooner than later.
> Defending the deadline will be necessary in the future, and
> that will become more difficult (on grounds of fairness) if
> some PEPs get accepted that had their first appearance on
> python.org/peps/ way after the deadline.

My vote would be to allow those people who have "reserved a spot" for a
PEP before the deadline to be allowed to proceed, even if they didn't
have an actual PEP in hand by that date. So in other words, the rule at
this point should be "no new *topics* for 3.0".

I would also say that a real PEP should follow within a few weeks, and
if not then I'd say go ahead and disqualify the PEP - i.e. you lose your
"reserved" spot if you don't come up with an actual document within a
reasonable time frame.

-- Talin