[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 2 07:10:35 CEST 2007

> So, Martin, I suggest that you expand your proposal to include a
> transliteration mechanism and limit the allowed characters to those which
> can be translitered.  I presume that this would be an expanding set.  Once
> a mechanism is in place, people who want 'their' character set included can
> do the work needed for that set.

I can certainly add that as a request, but I'm -1 on it. There shouldn't
be two different spellings for the same identifier, plus transliteration
systems often depend on the natural language (e.g. ö is transliterated
as oe in German, but (I believe) just as o in the Skandinavian languages
that have that character).

Regards,
Martin