[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 2 07:05:21 CEST 2007

> He says "the tools aren't ready yet", which I take to
> mean that Python won't need to support it until all
> widely-used editors, email and news software, etc, etc,
> reliably support displaying and editing of all
> unicode characters. We're clearly a long way from
> that situation.

I don't understand that requirement. Clearly, editors do
support non-ASCII characters already for many years (atleast
since 1980, maybe longer). Is the complaint that a single
editor does not support all characters? I don't see a need
for that - the editor will present a replacement character.
However, if somebody bothered entering the character in a
source file, there is actually a high chance that an editor
can display it (how else did he enter the character?)

Or is the complaint that editors don't support UTF-8?
That is simply not true anymore. E.g. IDLE has supported
editing UTF-8 for several Python releases now.

Regards,
Martin