[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Lino Mastrodomenico l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:27:30 CEST 2007

2007/5/1, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
> The point is that even though many people get some passive knowledge
> of English over time, they have a hard time with active usage of the
> language. So when they need to come up with identifiers and put comments
> into the code, they use their first language. See the comments for PEP
> 328 in
>
> http://python.com.ua/ru/news/2006/09/20/nakonets-to-vyishel-python-25/
>
> (I'm sure I can also find code with transliterated identifiers in the
>  net, but finding that is bit more tedious, so I would prefer if
>  you trust me on that).

If this can help the discussion, the first example of Python code in
the Italian translation of the tutorial is:

>>> il_mondo_è_piatto = 1
>>> if il_mondo_è_piatto:
...     print "Occhio a non caderne fuori!"
Occhio a non caderne fuori!

http://python.it/doc/Python-Docs/html/tut/node4.html

Please note the "è" character in the variable name. And yes, this code
used to work out of the box (AFAIK at least until Python 2.2).

--
Lino Mastrodomenico
E-mail: l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com