[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 1 17:56:10 CEST 2007

>> Title: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers
>
> Isn't this already blacklisted in PEP 3099?

It's not clear to me. That was in response to a suggestion
that non-ASCII symbols will be used in the syntax of Python,
i.e. in a way making it mandatory to be able to type these
symbols.

This is not the intent of this PEP.

There is also

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/001526.html

where Guido states that he trusts me that it can be made to work,
and that "eventually" it needs to be supported. Rather than asking
for trust, I put out a specification of how precisely the change
would be implemented. Then, in

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/001551.html

he indicates that this doesn't have to be synchronized with Py3k.

So if it is rejected for Py3k because of PEP 3099, I will need to
suggest it for addition to Python 2.6. However, if I had proposed
it for Python 2.6, people would have objected that it should rather
be included in Py3k. If it is rejected for 2.6 on the grounds of
being premature, I will resubmit it for 3.1, and so on, until
"eventually" is "now". If it gets rejected "for good", I shall feel
sorry.

Regards,
Martin