[Python-3000] Total ordering and __cmp__

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Mar 21 21:40:57 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/07, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Or we could just have 2.6 warn about the presence (or use) of __cmp__
> > -- users can write equivalent code using __lt__ etc. themselves and
> > probably do a better job.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Is anyone collecting a list of these --py3k warnings? There seem to be
> a lot recent changes that 2.6's py3k-compat mode will be handling, but
> I haven't seen anything about someone tracking them/working on a PEP
> on the issue. Or did I just volunteer myself for that? : )

Neal and I have been updating PEP361, and I will be keeping an eye on it
when I refactor the p3yk branch into separate py3k-feature-branches (be it
bazaar or mercurial or whatever.) Each conceptual change in py3k will be a
separate branch, so keeping track of what needs to be warned will be easier.
(But the practical consequences of this will be clearer after I give it some
concrete form :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!