[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Baptiste Carvello baptiste13 at altern.org
Tue Jun 12 02:34:54 CEST 2007

Michael Urman a écrit :
> On 6/11/07, Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:
>> Because the existence of these library modules does not make it
>> impossible to reliably read source code.  We're talking about
>> changing the definition of the language here, which is deeper
>> than adding or removing things in the library.
>
> This has already been demonstrated to be false - you already cannot
> visually inspect a printed python program and know what it will do.
> There is the risk of visually aliased identifiers, but how is that
> qualitatively worse than the truly conflicting identifiers you can
> import with a *, or have inserted by modules mucking with
> __builtins__?

Oh come on! imports usually are located at the top of the file, so they won't
clobber other names. And mucking with __builtins__ is rare and frowned upon. On
the contrary, non-ASCII identifiers will be encouraged, anywhere in the code.
The  amount of information you get from today's python code is most of the time
sufficient for debugging, or for using it as an inspiration. With non-ASCII
identifiers, these features will be lost to all users who cannot read the needed
characters. Denying the problem is not a good way to answer other people's concerns.

Cheers,
BC