[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 15:28:56 CEST 2007

--- Michael Urman <murman at gmail.com> wrote:

> The arguments then feel reduced to "Unicode enhances
> readability" vs.
> "Unicode impedes readability" and since clearly it
> does both, how do
> we make the value judgement about which it does
> more? How do we weigh
> the ability to use native language identifiers
> against the risk that
> there will be visually indistinguishable differences
> introduced?

I think offering some Unicode examples will enhance
the "Unicode enhances readability" argument.  Martin
recently posted a small example program written in
German.  As a German non-reader, I still found it
pretty easy to read, with a little bit of effort.
Interestingly, the one word that I wasn't able to
translate, even with the help of Babelfish, was the
German word for "insert."  It turns out the thing that
threw me off was that I omitted the umlaut.  That was
a bit of an epiphany for me.

I'd also be interested in actual testimonials from
teachers, Dutch tax lawyers, etc., that they will
embrace this feature.

I hate to make a decision by majority rule, but I
think there is the argument that you need to weigh the
population of ascii-literate people vs.
ascii-illiterate people.

(I don't mean ascii-illiterate as any kind of a slam;
I just think that's really the target audience for
this feature.  I am kanji-illiterate, but I am also
not lobbying for any kanji programming languages to be
more ascii-friendly.)

(I also recognize that Guido did get quite a few
testimonials from Unicode users that suggest they
embrace this idea, but I haven't seen much in the last
couple weeks.)