[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 05:14:38 CEST 2007

On 6/2/07, Rauli Ruohonen <rauli.ruohonen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

> > Your suggestion would unnecessarily change the semantics of the encoding
> > declarations.  I would call this gratuitous breakage.

> Depending on what the regular expression for the declarations is, the
> difference may not be big.

I suspect that if coding were always still first, and the identifier
charset followed it (or were on the same line), that would take care
of this objection.

> something like this is what you'd
> have most of the time in practice when you care about character sets:

> # identifier_charset: 0-7f

Why not ASCII?
Why not be more specific, with 0x30-0x39, 0x41-0x5a, 0x5f, 0x61-0x7a

When adding characters, this isn't such a problem.  When restricting
them, a standard spelling is more important.

> For quick hacks you could use this and everything would just work:

> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> # Real code.

> This isn't really anything more than a countermeasure against Ka-Ping's
> tricky.py -exploit

uhh... I don't see any charset comment there, so his coding: with a
non-ASCII letter in "coding" would still work.

-jJ