[Python-3000] map, filter, reduce

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:55:56 CEST 2007

On 6/1/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > PEP 3100 still isn't clear on the fate of these guys, except that
> > reduce() is gone.
>
> I'm not sure what isn't clear: reduce() is listed as "to be removed",
> and since map() and filter() aren't mentioned as "to be removed",
> they're presumably not going to be removed. What's tripping you up?

  "I think these features should be cut from Python 3000. [...]
  I think dropping filter() and map() is pretty uncontroversial [...]."

I know it was two years ago, and just a blog post for crying out
loud, but apparently it was pretty traumatic for some people,
because I still hear people whinge about it.  I would like to have
an authoritative document to point those people toward.  Perhaps
PEP 3099?

-j