[Python-3000] Is the --enable-unicode configure arg going anywhere?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jun 1 00:51:54 CEST 2007

I vaguely remember a discussion about the str/unicode unification and
whether there was going to be standardization on the internal representation
of Unicode or not.  I don't remember the outcome, but I am curious as to
whether it will lead to the removal of --enable-unicode or not.

Reason I ask is that the OS X extension modules do not like it when you
compile with UCS-4 (see http://www.python.org/sf/763708).  If the option is
not going to go away I am going to try to lean on someone to address this as
Unicode is obviously going to play a bigger role in Python come 3.0.

-Brett