[Python-3000] struni and the Apple four-character-codes

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Jul 29 21:32:42 CEST 2007

One minor point (that may already have been addressed, I've not seen
the whole discussion): note that 4CCs not only occur on the Mac but
also in various other contexts: AIFF files use 4CCs to define chunk
types, MP4 files use them for a gazillion different things (media
types, codec types, etc). Actually, codec types are generally defined
by their 4CC, and some times these even get to be used as their
mainstream name (divx and xvid).

It may be worthwhile to add generalized support somewhere to handle
converting 4CCs from readable to binary representation. And, of
course, the world being as it is some formats (Mac OSTypes, for
example, and probably quicktime/mp4 as well, but I'm not sure)
represent 4CCs in big-endian order, others (AIFF) in little-endian.
Goldman