[Python-3000] Lazy strings (was Re: Py3k release schedule worries)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Jan 12 05:34:56 CET 2007

I've just posted my first pass of the full "lazy strings" patch, with
both "lazy concatenation" and "lazy slices".  It's available on
Sourceforge here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=1629305&group_id=5470
It applies cleanly (with "patch -p1") against the current revision of
the Py3k branch, #53392.  The resulting tree builds as cleanly as an
unpatched Py3k, on both Win32 and Linux, and the output from the
regression tests is also unchanged.

As discussed on that page, the current version of the patch could cause
crashes in low-memory conditions.  I welcome suggestions on how best to
resolve this problem.  Apart from that fly in the ointment I'm pretty
happy with how it all turned out.

In case it's of interest, I'm using a local revision control system to
track my changes.  It makes working with a read-only Subversion
repository much easier; in particular it makes generating patches and
updating to new revisions of Python a snap.  I blogged about it here:
    http://www.momentaryfascinations.com/
And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

I look forward to your comments,

/larry/