[Python-3000] possible new packages (PEP 3108)

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 22:12:56 CET 2007

On 1/10/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> Jim Jewett says:

> > (2)  (Maybe) moving modules closer together so that it will be easier
> > to see what  refactoring is needed.

> > Eliminating some additional modules afterwards would be good too, but
> > there may not be time, and step (2) is worthwhile on its own.

> Yes, it's just that I disagree with you about that.  Step (2) causes
> more trouble than it's worth without really doing a reorg.

How do you figure?

The advantage of the reorg is in learnability, teachability, and
discoverability.  It is easier to think through "these are my 12 sets
of choices" than "these are my 307 choices".

The disadvantage is just a new name.  If the module contents don't
change, then this is about the lowest-cost change available.

(1)  The update is straightforward, and can be automated.
(2)  The new names can be made available in 2.x as shadows for
source-level compatibility, so package maintainers can upgrade at
theirn own convenience.

-jJ