[Python-3000] PEP 3108: Standard Library Reorganization

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 10:56:29 CET 2007

On 1/3/07, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:47 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
> > Are you at least okay with base64, quopri, and uu going?  You are just
> > arguing for the saving of binascii, right?
> >
> > Does anyone else care to try to save binascii?
>
> base64 and quopri implement specific RFCs so I think they should
> stay.  uu implements a defacto standard, but I don't like its
> interface (it uses file-like objects instead of strings).  For Py3K,
> I would be in favor of consolidating things, making interfaces
> consistent, and probably re-homing the modules under a top-level
> package.

Agreed. Although I very rarely (if ever) use these modules, my
immediate reaction when I saw these was "OK, so if I needed to do
this, how would I?" The answer may be to use encodings, but I'm not
sure. At the very least, a note along the lines of

    uu.encode/decode - replace with str.{en/de}code("uu")

would clarify that while the module is going, the functionality isn't.

Paul