[Python-3000] Thoughts on new I/O library and bytecode

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Feb 25 23:28:20 CET 2007

Greg Ewing wrote:

> Another thing is that the idea of displaying a mutable
> object in a way that closely resembles a non-mutable
> literal makes me uncomfortable. Actually, writing that
> sort of literal makes me uncomfortable too, but I'm
> not sure what to do about that.

We obviously need another quote character. I think we're going to have
to dip into unicode to get it ;)

Just to get it out of the way - as a totally unfeasible and bad idea ...
why not use double quotes for unicode literals, and single quotes for
byte literals?

"this is a unicode literal"
'this is a byte literal'

There - got it out of my system. Although, now something else is
suggesting that backticks could be repurposed for the job ...

`this is a byte literal`

Tim Delaney