[Python-3000] Pre-peps on raise and except changes (was: Warning for 2.6 and greater)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Feb 10 02:03:14 CET 2007

On 2/9/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> sys.exc_info() will be kept, while the sys.exc_{type,value,traceback}
> attributes will be dropped.

I understand why, but that doesn't make me uncomfortable with keeping
it. Maybe in "3.0 compatibility mode" 2.6 could attach tracebacks to
exception objects so we could be weened off it in 2.6?

> As an aside, should sys.exc_clear() be added to the to-drop list? Is
> there still a need for it given Python 3's exception cleanup
> semantics?

I don't think so -- AFAIK the same use case is handled well enough by
the cleanup semantics of the except clause.