[Python-3000] How to override io.BytesIO and io.StringIO with their optimized C version?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Dec 28 08:11:04 CET 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 11:06 PM, Matt Nordhoff <mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
> >> Someday I need to play with Hg. It looks interesting and I've heard only
> >> good about it.
> >>

> > It is nice.  Once Mercurial hits version 1.0 I am going to look at
> > whether it is reasonable to move Python to hg or bzr to make it easier
> > for people to do development on their own machines with local checkins
> > instead of forcing people who can't create a branch to create their
> > own VCS solution when doing offline work.

Just so people know, I won't start this for months, so we don't need
to keep discussing this and making noise on python-dev about it.

> Why wait until 1.0? Hg is mature and used by a number of major projects.

Yes, I know it is mature and used by many people, but for something as
critical as our VCS, I want the developers to be so much behind it
they are willing to call it version 1.0.

> BTW, there's a copy of Python's trunk converted to bzr on Launchpad:
> <https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/python/trunk>
> (that's the web page, not the branch itself)
>
> I don't know of any conversions to hg. I half want to do it myself, but
> I'm afraid to try to download so much from svn.python.org. :-P

Well, I won't stop you.  We get so much download traffic I doubt
downloading the entire history by one person will be a big deal.

-Brett