[Python-3000] How to override io.BytesIO and io.StringIO with their optimized C version?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Dec 27 02:20:09 CET 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 2:40 PM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Alexandre Vassalotti wrote:
> > Well, I been working on branches since the beginning. Although, I now
> > use Mercurial (which is lovely IMHO) to keep my changes (url:
> > http://peadrop.com/alex-py3k/).
>
> Someday I need to play with Hg. It looks interesting and I've heard only
> good about it.

It is nice.  Once Mercurial hits version 1.0 I am going to look at
whether it is reasonable to move Python to hg or bzr to make it easier
for people to do development on their own machines with local checkins
instead of forcing people who can't create a branch to create their
own VCS solution when doing offline work.

> > How would that works? The modules in Module/config.c need to linked to
> > the main binary, no?
>
> Correct! Do you want to build shared library extensions?
>
> Your problem is related to http://bugs.python.org/issue586680. It could
> be fixed in two ways. Either we move initstdio() after initsite()
> (Python/pythonrun.c) or we add the ./build/lib.<platform>-<version> to
> sys.path before we initialize the standard streams.

I would like to see the former option work.  Keeps build dependencies
down to a minimum.  Otherwise the issue Christian references should be
re-evaluated.  But I personally would rather not see more stuff be
built into Python, especially when it is optional in terms of Python's
execution needs.

-Brett