[Python-3000] Heading towards 3.0a2 release this week

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Dec 3 20:21:32 CET 2007

Hi folks,

I think we've made tremendous progress on Py3k recently, and I'd like
to do an official release of version 3.0a2 by the end of this week.

There's really only one issue that I'd like to address (personally)
before claiming it's ready: issue 1400, having to do with incomplete
implementation of line-buffering.

I don't recall exactly how we did the release last time; I'm thinking
of freezing the py3k branch Wednesday, working on getting the release
tarball built and tested on Thursday, and releasing early Friday
(early my time, that is -- 9am here is 6pm in most of Europe :-).

After 3.0a2 is released, I'd like to focus for a while on getting 2.6
in better shape -- a lot of stuff needs to be backported. At the same
time, in 3.0 we should focus on library reform.

Please mark any bugs that you think should be addressed before 3.0a2
as "high" (and assign them to me if they could benefit from my
attention).