[Python-3000] Will standard library modules comply with PEP 8?

john.m.camara at comcast.net john.m.camara at comcast.net
Tue Aug 28 23:08:00 CEST 2007

On 8/28/07, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the gripping hand, breaking getattr, getitem, setattr, setitem,
> delattr and delitem without a *really* good reason would mean seriously
> annoying a heck of a lot of people for no real gain.

Making an exception to the naming convention for builtins seams
acceptable as it's just a small list of method names for someone to
remember.  The bigger issue I see is the numerous inconsistencies
that exist in the standard library.  I know when I was learning Python
(8 years ago) I found these inconsistencies annoying.  I also see that
everyone I convince to use Python also has this issue for the first year
or 2 as they learn to master the language.

At this point in time a change of names would be a pain for myself as
I'm well aware of the names used in the standard library and will likely
type them wrong in the begining if the change takes place.  But I know
it will only take a short time to get used to the new names so I see it
as a small price to pay to shorten the learning curve for newbies.  I'll
even get over the pain of updating 300+ Kloc that I maintain.

John