[Python-3000] Will standard library modules comply with PEP 8?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Aug 27 21:59:30 CEST 2007

Dennis Brakhane wrote:
> I'd like to ask if the modules in the standard library will comply
> with PEP 8. I've always found it weird that - in the logging module,
> for example - I have to get the logger via getLogger instead of
> get_logger. I understand that the logging module is older than PEP 8
> and therefore couldn't be changed. So if there's a time to "fix"
> logging, it'd probably be now.

If I were in the position to decide I would rather change the PEP than
the logging module. I prefer Zope 3 style camel case names for public
attributes and methods
(http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/ZopePythonNamingConventions point 3) over
underscore names. I like to see the camel case style for public names as
an alternative in PEP 8. I find it easier to read and less to type. But
again it is just my personal and subjective opinion.

Provided that a package uses a *single* style I can live with both
styles but I'm using the camel case style for my projects.

Chrstian