[Python-3000] Removing email package until it's fixed

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Aug 26 00:00:15 CEST 2007

On 8/25/07, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > FYI, I'm removing the email package from the py3k branch for now.
> > If/when Barry has a working version we'll add it back. Given that it's
> > so close to the release I'd rather release without the email package
> > than with a broken one. If Barry finishes it after the a1 release,
> > people who need it can always download his version directly.
>
> Alternately, we could move toward separate libraries for such
> components; this allows separate packages to have separate
> maintenance cycles, and makes it easier for applications to pick up
> bug fixes.

Are you suggesting of just leaving email out of the core then and just
have people download it as necessary?  Or just having it developed
externally and thus have its own release schedule, but then pull in
the latest stable release when we do a new Python release?

I don't like the former, but the latter is intriguing.  If we could
host large packages (e.g., email, sqlite, ctypes, etc.) on python.org
by providing tracker, svn, and web space they could be developed and
released on their own schedule.  Then the Python release would then
become a sumo release of these various packages.  People could release
code that still depends on a specific Python version flatly (and thus
not have external dependencies), or say it needs support of Python 2.6
+ email 42.2 or something if some feature is really needed).  But
obviously this ups the resource needs on Python's infrastructure so I
don't know how reasonable it really is in the end.

-Brett