[Python-3000] PEP 3101 clarification requests

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 21 07:46:42 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> But how often will you need this? (You only need the !s part if you
> don't know that the argument is a string.)

Maybe I'm confused. I thought we had agreed that most
types would delegate to str if they didn't understand
the format, so most of the time there wouldn't be any
need to use "!s". Is that still true?

If not, I think it will be very inconvenient, as I
very frequently format things of all sorts of types
using "%s", and rely on it doing something reasonable.

--
Greg