[Python-3000] UTF-32 codecs

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Thu Aug 16 22:03:07 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> OK, then I'll check it into the py3k branch, and backport it to the trunk.
>
> This raises another procedural question: are we still merging from the
> trunk to the 3k branch, or are they now officially split?
>
> If we still merge, and assuming that the implementations are
> sufficiently similar

See below.

> and live in the same files,

Mostly they do, but there are three new files in Lib/encodings:
utf_32.py, utf_32_le.py and utf_32_be.py

> it would be better
> to commit into the trunk, then merge (or wait for somebody else to
> merge), then apply any modifications that the 3k branch needs.

A simple merge won't work, because in 3.0 the codec uses bytes and in
2.6 it uses str. Also the call to the decoding error handler has
changed, because in 3.0 the error handler could modify the mutable input
buffer.

Servus,
    Walter