[Python-3000] UTF-32 codecs

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 16 19:42:09 CEST 2007

Walter Dörwald schrieb:
> I have a patch against the py3k branch (http://bugs.python.org/1775604)
> that adds UTF-32 codecs. On a narrow build it combines surrogate pairs
> in the unicode object into one codepoint on encoding and creates
> surrogate pairs for codepoints outside the BMP on decoding.
>
> Should I apply this to the py3k branch only, or do we want that for
> Python 2.6 too (using str instead of bytes)?

If it's no effort, I would like to seem this on the trunk also.

In general, I'm skeptical about the "new features only in 3k" strategy.
Some features can be added easily with no backwards-compatibility issues
in 2.x, and would have normally been added to the next major 2.x release
without much discussion.

Regards,
Martin