[Python-3000] Proposed new language for newline parameter to TextIOBase

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:02:32 CEST 2007

On 8/15/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> I'd use None and "\r"/... as proposed, but "U" instead of the empty string
> for universal newline mode.

I know that "U" already has this meaning as a differently named
parameter, but if I saw something like::

    open(file_name, newline='U')

my first intuition would be that it's some weird file format where
each chunk of the file is delimited by letter U.  Probably just a
result of dealing with too many bad file formats though. ;-)

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy