[Python-3000] Documentation switch imminent

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Aug 15 16:05:12 CEST 2007

Brett Cannon schrieb:
> On 8/14/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Now that the converted documentation is fairly bug-free, I want to
>> make the switch.
>>
>> I will replace the old Doc/ trees in the trunk and py3k branches
>> tomorrow, moving over the reST ones found at
>> svn+ssh://svn.python.org/doctools/Doc-{26,3k}.
>
> First, that address is wrong; missing a 'trunk' in there.

Sorry again.

> Second, are we going to keep the docs in a separate tree forever, or
> is this just for now?

They will be moved (in a few minutes...) to the location where the
Latex docs are now.

> I am not thinking so much about the tools, but
> whether we will need to do two separate commits in order to make code
> changes *and* change the docs?  Or are you going to add an externals
> dependency in the trees to their respective doc directories?

No separate commits will be needed to commit changes to the docs.
However, the tool to build the docs will not be in the tree under Doc/,
but continue to be maintained in the doctools/ toplevel project.

I spoke with Martin about including them as externals, but we agreed that
they are not needed and cost too much time on every "svn up".  Instead,
the Doc/ makefile checks out the tools in a separate directory and runs
them from there. (The Doc/README.txt file explains this in more detail.)

Cheers,
Georg