[Python-3000] More PEP 3101 changes incoming

Eric V. Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Sun Aug 12 21:49:51 CEST 2007

Talin wrote:
> Eric V. Smith wrote:
>> I have hooked up the existing PEP 3101 sandbox implementation into the
>> py3k branch as unicode.format().  It implements the earlier PEP syntax
>> for specifiers.
>
> Woo hoo! Thanks Eric. This is great news.
>
> At some point I'd like to build that branch myself, I might send you
> questions later.

I'm currently just developing in the py3k branch.  I know this is
sub-optimal, since I can't check in there until the PEP is accepted.
The original PEP 3101 sample implementation was in sandbox/pep3101, and
was never a branch, because it was built as an external module.

Maybe I should create a py3k-pep3101 (or py3k-format) branch, so I can
check my stuff in?

> I'm not sure that I'm happy with my own syntax proposal just yet. I want
> to sit down with Guido and talk it over before I commit to anything.

I'll have some comments in the thread with your proposal.

> This would be easier if I was sitting in a room with other Python
> programmers so that I could show them various suggestions and see what
> their emotional reactions are. I'm having a hard time doing this in
> isolation. That's kind of why I want to meet with Guido on this, as he's
> good at cutting through this kind of crap.

Good luck!  I'm open to private email, or chatting on the phone, if you
want someone to bounce ideas off of.

Eric.