[Python-3000] Move to a "py3k" branch *DONE*

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 10 19:56:00 CEST 2007

On 8/9/07, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are currently about 7 failing unit tests left:
> >
> > test_bsddb

Looks like this (trivial) test now passes, at least on the one box I
have where it isn't skipped (an ancient red hat 7.3 box that just
won't die :-).

> > test_bsddb3

FWIW, this one *hangs* for me on the only box where I have the right
environment to build bsddb, after running many tests successfully.

> There are other problems:
>  * had to kill test_poplib due to taking all cpu without progress

I tried to reproduce this but couldn't (using a debug build). Is it
reproducible for you? What are the exact arguments you pass to Python
and regrtest and what platform did you use?

>  * bunch of tests leak (./python ./Lib/test/regrtest.py -R 4:3:
> test_foo test_bar ...)

Did Walter's submit fix these? If not, can you provide more details of
the remaining leaks?

>  * at least one test fails with a fatal error

I'll look into this.

>  * make install fails

I think I fixed this. The traceback module no longer likes getting a
tuple instead of an Exception instance, so a small adjustment had to
be made to py_compile.py. The syntax error that py_compile was trying
to report is now no longer fatal.

> Here are the details (probably best to update the wiki with status
> before people start working on these):

I don't think it hurts if multiple people look into this. These are
all tough problems. Folks, do report back here as soon as you've got a
result (positive or negative).

> I'm not sure what was happening with test_poplib.  I had to kill
> test_poplib due to taking all cpu without progress.  When I ran it by
> itself, it was fine.  So there was some bad interaction with another
> test.

And I can't reproduce it either. Can you?

> Ref leaks and fatal error (see
> http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/results/make-test-refleak.out):
> test_array leaked [11, 11, 11] references, sum=33
> test_bytes leaked [4, 4, 4] references, sum=12
> test_codeccallbacks leaked [21, 21, 21] references, sum=63
> test_codecs leaked [260, 260, 260] references, sum=780
> test_ctypes leaked [10, 10, 10] references, sum=30
> Fatal Python error:
> /home/neal/python/py3k/Modules/datetimemodule.c:1175 object at
> 0xb60b19c8 has negative ref count -4
>
> There are probably more, but I haven't had a chance to run more after
> test_datetime.

I'm running regrtest.py -uall -R4:3: now.

> This failure occurred while running with -R:
>
> test test_coding failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/tmp/python-test-3.0/local/lib/python3.0/test/test_coding.py",
> line 12, in test_bad_coding2
>     self.verify_bad_module(module_name)
>   File "/tmp/python-test-3.0/local/lib/python3.0/test/test_coding.py",
> line 20, in verify_bad_module
>     text = fp.read()
>   File "/tmp/python-test-3.0/local/lib/python3.0/io.py", line 1148, in read
>     res += decoder.decode(self.buffer.read(), True)
>   File "/tmp/python-test-3.0/local/lib/python3.0/encodings/ascii.py",
> line 26, in decode
>     return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position
> 0: ordinal not in range(128)

This doesn't fail in isolation for me.