[Python-3000] Immutable bytes type and dbm modules

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 7 06:53:06 CEST 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > It's always possible to treat these as if they were latin-1, but this
 > is so unnaturally hacky that I didn't think of it.

Emacs and XEmacs have both suffered (in different ways) from treating
raw bytes as ISO 8859-1.  Python is very different (among other
things, the Unicode type is already well-developed and the preferred
representation for text), but I think it's just as well that you avoid
this.  Even if it costs a little extra work.