[Python-3000] Generic function PEP won't make it in time

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 27 10:21:04 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Then how do you explain the popularity of zope.interfaces in both the
> Zope and the Twisted world?

I don't know -- from my point of view, the fact that
Zope and Twisted rely on them so much seems like a
strangely unpythonic aberration. They don't seem to
have caught on in a big way outside those two packages.

> Read PEP 3119's Rationale.

I did read it, and it seemed to be nothing more than
a proposal to provide a way of doing something that
shouldn't be done in the first place, i.e. large-scale
use of LYBL.

I see that you're now talking about providing some
way of declaring a type as conforming to an ABC after
the fact, which does mitigate things somewhat. But
I still have large misgivings about the comefromish
nature of such a thing, and its close cousins,
adaptation and generic functions.

 From my point of view, it still seems like a rather
elaborate solution in search of a deservingly pressing
problem.

--
Greg