[Python-3000] Generic function PEP won't make it in time

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:05:42 CEST 2007

On 25/04/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Do we really need to have B&D-ish enforcement of abstract
> method implementation? It doesn't seem pythonic to me.
> I might want to leave some methods of an ABC unimplemented
> because I'm not intending to use them. I'd be annoyed if
> I were prevented from doing that because of some theoretical
> notion that they "should" be implemented.

I agree - this whole discussion still sounds like things are getting
overly strict.

OTOH, in Greg's case maybe he should just not bother inheriting from
the ABC. From what I hear, that shouldn't cause him any problems
("duck typing isn't going away" is the message I've heard). Of course,
it's difficult to be sure without specific examples (on either side of
the debate).

Paul.