[Python-3000] Kill GIL?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 19 23:32:07 CEST 2006

Paul Prescod schrieb:
> Even if I won't contribute code or even a design to the solution
> (because it isn't an area of expertise and I'm still working on
> encodings stuff) I think that there would be value in saying: "There's a
> big problem here and we intend to fix it in Python 3000."

This is of value only if "we" really intend to fix it. I don't,
and apparently, you don't either. It would be very bad to claim
that "we" fix it, and then don't. It's much much much much better
to acknowledge that "we" aren't going to fix it, not with Python
3.0, and likely not with any release in the foreseeable future.
The only exception would be if somebody offered a reasonable
solution, which "we" would just have to incorporate (and possibly
maintain, although it would be good if the original author would
be around for a year or so).

Regards,
Martin