[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Antoine solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Oct 23 11:25:14 CEST 2006

> I bring this up because I recently (like - today) spent about 8 hours
> trying to debug a Python installation problem - and realizing that much
> of the reason that installation and deployment infrastructure of Python
> programs is so ****ing complex is because of the poverty of tools like
> Make.
>
> Right now, the top competitors for Make are (as far as I know):
>
>    -- pljam: Nice system, but effectively unmaintained
>    -- SCons: again, nice system, but doesn't scale, performance is
>              unacceptable for large projects.
>    -- ant / nant: Heavy requirement on Java / .Net

I've heard CMake is quite nice. It has been chosen by KDE as the default
build tool. It generates Makefiles on Unix and MSVC project files under
Windows, which makes it an integrated replacement rather than a complete
ad-hoc solution like ant & friends.

I don't know if it's practical for non C/C++ projects though.

http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html

Oh and I've just found out this one, which promises to be superior to
anything else (of course ;-)):
http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/bksys.html