[Python-3000] Cheeseshop

Ka-Ping Yee python at zesty.ca
Thu Oct 19 03:22:04 CEST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Talin wrote:
> Seriously, though - this is actually my way of saying that this thread
> has gone too long...what are we hoping to accomplish here? Are you
> really going to re-name PyPI or cheeseshop or whatever you want to call
> it, or are folks just trying to score points? Even if its not the ideal
> name, is the cost of the disruption really worth it at this point?

I feel there are two things that would be good to resolve here.

1.  We need to agree on a single standard name for the central
    repository of Python packages.  Right now there are 2.5
    (Cheeseshop, PyPI, Package Index).  The URL should reflect
    the name in an obvious way.

2.  We need to pick a name that is easy to spell and pronounce.
    ("PyPI", "pieshop", "pyshop", "pyeshop" all have the problem
    that one is unlikely to guess the correct spelling.)

But that's just about the name.  The original motivation for my
post about Cheeseshop, is that it would be nice if it were easier
to find packages in it.  The issue of search/navigation/access
seems to have been forgotten in this flurry about the name.

-- ?!ng