[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri Oct 13 08:25:55 CEST 2006

Talin wrote:

> Seriously, though, I am not proposing that there never be additions
> to the standard library -- instead, I simply want 'easy_install' to
> work 100% of the time, so that there's much less reason to add
> something to the standard library.

-10000000.

The standard library is not about easeness of installation. It is about having
a consistent fixed codebase to work with. I don't want to go Perl/CPAN,
where you have 3-4 alternatives to do thing A which will never interoperate
with whatever you chose among the 3-4 alternatives to do thing B. I don't want
to stop being able to read and fix programs because they use 15 libraries I
never heard of, with obscure APIs and terrible naming conventions.

Let us keep our batteries, please.
--
Giovanni Bajo